Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Thinking v Doing

Throughout the play, Hamlet is given choices on which he must eventually act upon. It became an obvious trend that Hamlet would spend quite a while making these decisions. The ghost presents itself very early on in the play and Hamlet spends a very long time grappling the ghost’s request. Hamlet finally acts on this except accidentally kills Polonious rather than Claudius. Hamlet spent so long debating his decision that I believe he over thought it. Over thinking is something I believe I do very often. During soccer though, this has easily become my biggest fault. I become so concerned with all the little complications that I often miss the big picture of getting the ball to another teammate. Hamlet has done just this, he spent so long thinking about it that I became a weight on his shoulder. He felt so badly he needed to get rid of it that he kills polonious. Being a thinker and a doer each have their benefits, but doing too much of either creates bad situations. Outside of soccer, I see myself as a doer. One of my biggest pet peeves is when trying to make plans with friends they bring in so many small issues and complications. I think it is fun to do things on a whim occasionally, it keeps life interesting. When it comes to school, I see myself as a doer as well. Although I plan out some of my work, I am able to get it all done without a strict plan laid out for me every night. But, being a doer is not always fun. Often times I make decisions and do not think of the consequences. I am easily upset or offended by things without truly thinking “is it worth it to get mad?” These little things easily get in the way of my life and make me wish I could maybe think a little harder at times. 

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting analysis of thinking vs. doing. I agree with you that each side of the issue has its benefits, so we should not lean too heavily to one or the other. I find it interesting that you think it makes life more interesting to act on whim occasionally. Since I more often am the kind of person who thinks too carefully, I understand how it can occasionally be freeing to do something without especially careful thinking. Of course, one must always be considering whether something is wrong or damaging to oneself or others. This safety and morality, however, does not really need to be "thought" about, though, it can usually just be felt. I actually think that I could benefit by being a little bit less of a thinker, and by this I do not intend to become rash, but just to have a healthy amount of "light" and "heat." (truth and passion)

    ReplyDelete