Sunday, September 22, 2013

To run or not run that is the question?
As I sprint by my track coach, I wonder if it is pleasure or disapproval in his eyes
As they glaze by me, panting and fatigued.
But hey, I just ran a mile
To run should be pleasing
Yet uncomfortable and challenging all the while
My feet hit the pavement, I feel the pounding reverberate throughout my body
My shin splints make their final call for help as I round the last 400 meters
Should one push through this pain? All for what?
For the feeling at the end? When you know you did the best that you could?
But, for times when you do poorly this running, this last push feels truly frivolous
As I see the clock move past 5 minutes on my last 400, I know this feeling at the end will not come
So then I ask myself again; to run or not to run?

As the school year comes to an end I begin to ask myself, will I train for soccer this summer?
Will I put myself through the grueling sprints every single day
In the
Heat
Rain
Thunder
Lightening
Am I willing to prove to my coach that, yes I am fit
To run is to show effort, perseverance, commitment, and dedication
To run is to take time and effort, it is to get sick because I ran too much, it is to be angry because I let the girl next to me beat me
Not to run is an extra hour in the day, an extra hour to write my college essay, an extra hour to watch TV, and extra hour to have all to myself to do whatever I please
Not to run is to show I do not care about soccer or track or even my own health
So, which shall be the nobler option? To push or not to push? To prevail or not?



1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I like that you balance both the physical and mental feelings of running in your debate. The imagery is great because I can feel myself pushing through the pain of running, even though I want to stop. The list of worsening weather effectively shows the high level of dedication. The to run side was more convincing because you describe running as a worthwhile challenge, especially for the sense of satisfaction at the end.

    ReplyDelete