Thursday, February 27, 2014

"How to Write About Africa"

"How to Write About Africa" was a hilarious article. The authors sarcastic sense of humor made the subject much lighter, while still being able to convey his message. The idea he brings forward, that Africa is always portrayed as in need and suffering, is one I have thought about a lot. In 2012, when the KONY video went viral, a man spoke at Model UN on the African response to this video. I had seen the 30 minute KONY video and had found it inspiring and a great cause, but after learning about how the African people felt about it, I had to think again. Many people responded saying they didn't need the help and the problems caused by Josef Kony were greatly exaggerated in the video. I have never been to Africa so I don't know the truth about the video, but it was hard not to trust the words of the African people. I think as American people, we always see African in a sad and struggling light, like the author sarcastically suggested that when writing about Africa we must overlook all the natural beauty and the beauty of all the different cultures represented in one nation. The author is able to point out different flaws in literature about Africa by telling the reader what to and what not to do. Basically, everything he says not to do is pointing out what they should do and vice versa. One line that stood out to me a lot was, "animals, on the other hand, must be treated as well rounded, complex characters." I've never realized how true this is. While watching apocalypse now, I think I was the saddest when they brought the puppy into the scene. Even though its Vietnam and not Africa, it's still a similar concept. It also reminded me of the Lion King and how the animals in it are so heroic and brave, but I have never seen a movie about actual African people where this is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment