Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Road Not Taken: Robert Frost

I have known this poem for a very long time. In elementary school we may have read it every year. I have not read it since the 5th grade, so I was very excited to take a closer look at it now that I am able to understand much more about poetry. It was fitting that it started off the chapter on symbolism and allegory because the entire poem is a symbol. Through the two paths, Frost is able to represent two choices in life that one must make. His description of the "leaves no step had trodden back" is representative of the less common decision. Just like fewer people had taken and walked that path, fewer people had made a certain decision. It is also representative of something new in Frost's life. In deciding to "take the one less traveled" he is embarking on a new adventure. The one aspect of this poem that causes confusion is his line "I shall be telling this with a sigh." Here, it became unclear to me what Frosts' true purpose was. I interpreted this line to be his deep breath before something new. Maybe he was nervous about taking this new road, so he sighs right before then does it. Before I do something new I often find myself taking a deep breath then doing it. It can seem negative, his sigh, but I do not believe that is his intention. This poem is also representative of a decision that will have a long lasting effect. Frost says, "somewhere ages and ages hence" implying that he will see the effects of taking the road less traveled for a long time. This poem is one that after reading it will stick with anyone. It can resonate with any person because no matter how someone is or what their personality is like, everyone must make tough decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment